- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup blackberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup grape juice
- 1 cup pickled beet juice
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Cook eggs to make hard cooked eggs using Instant Pot or boiling in pan on stovetop. I used the Instant Pot 5-5-5 method. Place 1 cup water in a 6-quart Instant Pot with trivet in the bottom. Arrange the eggs on the trivet. Close the lid and push the pressure valve to Sealing. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then push the pressure valve to Venting. 2. Plunge the eggs into cold (I add a little ice) water. The shells should peel off easily after gently cracking the ends of the eggs. 3. Meanwhile, add 1 1/2 cups water to three small pans and add blackberries, blueberries and turmeric to each pan. Bring them to a boil, then remove from the heat and let them stand 10 minutes. 4. Strain the blueberries and black berries into a small fruit jar or cup with a fine metal sieve or strainer. Strain the turmeric with a very fine mesh sieve into a fruit jar or cup. Let liquid cool to room termperature 5. Pour grape juice and pickled beet juice in fruit jars or cups. Add vinegar to all the cups except pickled beet juice. It already has vinegar in it. Vinegar helps the egg absorb the color. 6. Gently lower the eggs into the cups. Leave the eggs in the cups 10 to 15 minutes or until desired color is achieved. For vibrant, darker colors leave them in overnight but be sure and put in the refrigerator. 7. Remove eggs from the cups with a spoon and pat dry on paper towels.
1. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise with a knife and scoop out yolks in a medium bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork or a potato masher. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and salt. I use my Kitchen Aid hand mixer at this point to mix it all together because I can't ever get all the lumps out with just a fork. 2. Spoon the filling into a zip-top bag or pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. I often just snip the end of the bag with no tip and just pipe it onto the eggs straight from the bag. You can also just spoon the filling into the eggs.