Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Skin from 4 large chicken thighs
- 4 small sprigs of fresh herbs of your choice, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lay each skin down on a nonstick baking sheet, and spread them out so they take up as much space as possible without overlapping. Sprinkle with onion powder, then lay a sprig of fresh herbs (or an individual leaf of fresh sage) on top of each one, if using.
- Lay a second nonstick baking sheet on top of the first, tightly sandwiching the skins.
- Bake for 20 minutes. You should be able to hear sizzling and popping as the skin renders.
- Remove pans and let skins cool for several minutes before lifting off top pan. If you're not using a nonstick pan, allow skins to sit for 15 minutes after cooking. As they cool, they'll release from the surface naturally (or with minimal help from a spatula).
- Carefully remove the skins from the sheet—they'll be fragile—transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Keep skins whole for use as chips, crackers, or crumble for use as a garnish.